revolutionist n : a radical supporter of political or social revolution [syn: revolutionary, subversive, subverter]
- A person who revolts.
A revolutionary, when used as a noun, is a person who either actively engages in some kind of revolution, or advocates the revolution, with recognition from some government or party which is effectively carrying out a revolution of the same category . The term is usually applied to political revolutionaries or social revolutionaries, and less frequently used to revolutionary scientists, inventors, and artists. In the political context, the term "revolutionary" is often used in contrast to the term reformist. While a revolutionary is someone who supports abrupt change, a reformist is someone who supports more gradual change. When used as an adjective, revolutionary refers to something that has a major, sudden impact on society or on some aspect of human endeavor. Political revolutionaries may be classified in two ways:
- According to the goals of the revolution they propose. Usually, these goals are part of a certain ideology. In theory, each ideology could generate its own brand of revolutionaries. In practice, most political revolutionaries have been either liberals, nationalists, socialists, communists, fascists or anarchists.
- According to the methods they propose to use. This divides revolutionaries in two broad groups: Those who advocate a violent revolution, and those who are pacifists. Perhaps the best known examples of these two types of revolutionaries are Che Guevara and Mahatma Gandhi, respectively .
- When Men Revolt and Why
- Russian Revolution
- Cuban Revolution
- American Revolutionary War
- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps
- Revolutionary movement
- Revolutionary socialism
- French Revolution
- Velvet Revolution
- Orange Revolution
- Communist revolution
- Revolution (political group)
- Radicalism (historical)
revolutionist in German: Revolutionär
revolutionist in Estonian: Revolitsionäär
revolutionist in Latin: Rerum novarum cupidus
revolutionist in Japanese: 革命家
Bolshevik, Bolshevist, Bolshie, Carbonarist, Carbonaro, Castroist, Castroite, Charley, Communist, Cong, Fenian, Guevarist, Jacobin, Jacobinic, Leninist, Maoist, Marxist, Mau-Mau, Puritan, Red, Red Republican, Roundhead, Sinn Feiner, Trotskyist, Trotskyite, VC, Vietcong, Wobbly, Yankee, Yankee Doodle, agin the government, agitator, anarch, anarchic, anarchist, anarchistic, anarcho-syndicalist, antinomian, bonnet rouge, brawler, criminal syndicalist, extreme, extreme left-winger, extremist, extremistic, fanatic, frondeur, insubordinate, insurgent, insurrectionary, insurrectionist, insurrecto, left-wing extremist, lunatic fringe, malcontent, maverick, mild radical, mildly radical, mutineer, nihilist, nihilistic, nonconformist, parlor Bolshevik, parlor pink, pink, pinko, rabid, radical, rebel, red, revolter, revolutional, revolutionary, revolutionary junta, revolutioner, revolutionizer, rioter, sans-culotte, sans-culottic, sans-culottish, sans-culottist, subversive, syndicalist, terrorist, traitor, ultra, ultraconservative, ultraist, ultraistic, yippie